Conflict gets a bad rap. Sometimes even just saying the word “conflict” is enough to make people squirm.
But in fairness to the dynamic, here are 7 potential BENEFITS of conflict, courtesy of Becoming a Conflict Competent Leader, by Craig E. Runde and Tim A. Flanagan:
- Conflict can stimulate creativity and problem-solving
- Conflict can foster teamwork and improve social relations
- Conflict can encourage listening and perspective-taking
- Conflict can promote reflective thinking and open communications
- Conflict can identify important information about people and situations
- Conflict can signal that changes are necessary in relationships or the organization
- Conflict can provide the means for expressing emotions which can ultimately clear the air and reduce tension
So take that, conflict-haters. Conflict can be a GOOD thing!
Want to learn more about how competent YOU are with conflict? Read take the Conflict Dynamics Profile (CDP) assessment and then read my Becoming More Conflict Competent: A Leadership Development Tutorial.