by Barry Zweibel, MCC – Master Certified Coach – LeadershipTraction
It’s well documented that coaching helps people. But do you know HOW coaching helps people?
Different coaches will tell you different things, but here’s a bit about how I do what I do…
F.O.CU.S. – The ‘Secret Sauce’ of Meaningful and Lasting Change
Let’s break it down a bit. The key to change is focus. But what does that mean?
- F – FACE Your Challenges, Head-on – Most ‘stuck’ people simply don’t do this. Instead, they spend an inordinate amount of time and effort ignoring or ‘awful-izing’ what they know they need to be doing, or justifying why they shouldn’t have to do whatever they ought to be doing. But, these are just their fears and doubts and other assorted ‘scary monsters’ talking – one’s self-limiting thoughts, feelings, beliefs, and behaviors running amok. In contrast, when someone actually faces their challenges, head on, they can begin to get beyond all this, get past what’s holding them back, and start moving forward again. Sure, that takes courage, a change in perspective, and a few good counter-intuitive ideas they likely haven’t considered before, but that’s where I come in!
- O – OUTSMART the ‘Unhelpful Extremes’ – People often evaluate their next steps by looking at things in a binary fashion: All or none; black or white; what they’d do in a perfect world scenario or, because things aren’t perfect, how to feel better about the status quo. Ever hear someone (or yourself) say, “It’s too hard to do all that, so why bother?” That’s the UEs (pronounced ‘YOU-eese’ or ‘EWW-ies’) talking. Ever see someone (or yourself) ‘productively procrastinate’ by overloading on low-level activities instead working on what’s strategically important? That’s the UEs in action, again. In contrast, by recognizing what the UEs actually are – false choices that bookend a near-endless number of realistic possibilities – one can start brainstorming concrete, viable, and non-threatening actions for getting unstuck.
- C – CHOOSE Particularly Powerful Next Steps – William James said it best, “When you have to make a choice and don’t make it, that is in itself a choice.” Brainstorming possibilities is an important step, but the actual choosing of one’s next steps is even more so. Stuck people, if they choose at all, tend to choose tactically – actions for action’s sake; ‘busyness,’ not business. In contrast, powerful choices are strategic, savvy, and specifically geared towards moving things meaningfully forward. How to choose? What to choose? What it might mean? All powerful stuff.
- U – UNHOOK from Your Self-Limiting Beliefs – It’s hard to show up as your Best Self, sometimes. Maybe because the stakes feel high. Maybe because the stakes ARE high. Maybe because you’re in unfamiliar territory. Maybe because you’re not focused on right things or not even sure what the right things are. Regardless, one’s ‘inner monologue’ – that judge, critic, narrator, gremlin, or whatever you call it – can instantly undermine your great plans and Best Self. In contrast, learning how to listen for, and work with, the constructive insights and recommendations of your gremlin’s non-constructive messages is a profoundly useful skill. (It’s a great way to become instantly better with conflicts, as well.)
- S – STRIVE for Increasingly Meaningful Results – While effort is important, in business it’s really about results – which includes both working to make good things happen sooner, and solving tomorrow’s problems before they even occur. What will move the needle? What will turn the dial? What will make it clear to all involved that it’s truly a wonderful thing that YOU are involved? For learning to stick, it’s essential to talk about the insights, discoveries, and lessons learned along the way – and apply those lessons learned early and often. As Vernon Law said, “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.” When you’re known as someone who consistently, and collaboratively, looks for, and integrates, the lessons learned, the possibilities of what’s possible begin to soar. And the power of meaningful and lasting impact becomes yours!
How Barry Zweibel helps people F.O.C.U.S.
In each and every coaching interaction I try to F.R.A.M.E. the conversation in specific ways so that I increase the probability of my clients benefiting the most they can from them. So while our conversations seem organic and free-flowing – which they very much are – there’s more to the story than that. Behind the scenes I’m busy insuring that we F.R.A.M.E. our conversations in such a way that you feel motivated and engaged to:
- Think more strategically more of the time
- Collaborate more freely and easily
- Take full responsibility for the choices and decisions you make
- Strive for increasingly meaningful, game-changing, results
The LeadershipTraction® F.R.A.M.E. Coaching Model™
Master Certified Coach, Barry Zweibel, created the LeadershipTraction F.R.A.M.E. Coaching Model, which articulates the ins and outs of creating powerful and lasting interactions that help people F.O.C.U.S. on the right things in the right way.
- F – F.O.C.U.S. EACH INTERACTION – in increasingly relevant, and powerful, ways
- R – RESPOND STRATEGICALLY – respectfully; collaboratively; engagingly; purposefully
- A – ASK QUESTIONS THAT ARE INTRIGUING TO ANSWER – to induce clarity, discernment, choice, and drive
- M – MONITOR PROGRESS – acknowledging efforts made and outcomes enabled…or not
- E – ENCOURAGE CONTINUED F.O.C.U.S. – inviting further exploration of one’s goals, objectives, strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, challenges, self-limiting beliefs, and such
Give me a call and let’s see if we can help sharpen your F.O.C.U.S.