Creating More Platinum Moments
A very interesting email hit my inbox, not long ago, in the form of two little quizzes prompted by what was called Charles Schultz’ Philosophy. Schultz, of course, was the creator of the incredibly popular and long-lasting Peanuts cartoon strip. Let me share the quizzes with you.
- Name the three wealthiest people in the United States
- Name the last two winners of the coveted Heisman trophy
- Name last year’s winner of the Miss America beauty pageant
- Name this year’s top three best-selling authors
- Name last year’s Academy Award winners for best actor and actress
- Name the editor-in-chief of your favorite magazine
So how did you do? If you’re like me, not all that well. Now no disrespect to whomever these people are. Clearly, they’ve achieved some wonderful distinction for who they are and what they’ve done and I congratulate them all. But did they have a direct impact on my life? Or how I think? Or what I do? No, not really.
- Name your all-time favorite teacher – and why
- Name three friends who helped you when you really needed it – and the circumstances around it
- Name five people who taught you something worthwhile – and how you’ve used that knowledge
- Name six people who made you feel especially appreciated – and why
- Name five people you enjoy spending time with – and what else you could do together
- Name half a dozen heroes whose stories have inspired you – and consider what their advice would be for a problem you’re currently facing
Easier? I suspect so. And why? Because these people made a lasting impression on you. They touched your life – and made you care in a way that powerfully self-affirming. I think we could all use a bit more THAT!
How about you?!
Let’s Build On This
Turn your attention to outward and ask yourself, “Whose lives am I touching? Whose lives could I be touching?”
The equation is simple: What others have done for you, you can do for others. And what you do next can be easily determined by understanding the Platinum Rule. The PLATINUM Rule? Yes.
We all know the Golden Rule – do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Well the Platinum Rule, per Dr. Tony Alessandra is, “Do unto others as THEY would have you do unto them.” And if you think about the people in your responses to Quiz #2, I suspect that each and every one of them – whether they realized it or not – honored the Platinum Rule with you in some way. And what made it all the better was that even though you didn’t ask, they delivered!
Take a moment or two and think about the people you know and interact with. What Platinum Moments are available to you? How can you do unto others as they would have you do unto them?
Charles Schultz once said, “It doesn’t matter what you believe just so long as you’re sincere.” And so to it is with Platinum Moments – you do have to be sincere, or they don’t count. But it really DOESN’T matter what moments you choose to make platinum…as long as you choose to do so intentionally.
So whatever – or however – you choose, choose to brighten someone’s day because you want to, not just because you feel you have to.
Then watch what happens!